'I have attended several writers' workshops with Harriet and Sandra - I'd felt very 'blocked' and lacking in confidence. I found the whole experience to be affirming and gentle which was very much what I needed. The whole experience felt like being on a sunlit balcony in Mexico with friends, where your creativity could just come out naturally in a supportive environment.
After the first session, I managed to submit a plot and some sample pieces of writing to the Faber academy and succeeded on obtaining a place on their online novel writing course. Huge self doubt is one of my problems in writing and Harriet and Sandra taught me useful techniques for bypassing that awful paralysis. I have also met some.lovely likeminded friends through the experience. Thank you! And looking forward to the next time!' Angela de Vere, Marlow.
Flash Fiction Workshop - Saturday, September 22nd 2018 10am until 1pm - £30
Come along and discover the joys of writing flash fiction:
- Sometimes known as micro-fiction, one-page fiction, quick fiction and even drabble!
- Described as part-poetry, part narrative, it’s basically just a very short story, sometimes 100 words but no more than 1,000.
- However long or short it is, it must have a beginning, middle and end.
- In this workshop you’ll complete a flash fiction story (or maybe several) of 300 words, we’ll show you how.
- We’ll direct you to the many flash fiction competitions available to us and have some fun with the creative process.
Non - fiction and memoir writing workshop - Saturday, October 13th 10am until 1pm - £30
Are you an expert in your field?
- Do you have an idea for a book or non-fiction feature?
- Maybe it’s a memoir based on true events, maybe it’s technical, informative or just your opinion?
- Come along to this workshop and explore your ideas
- Discuss, start to write your synopsis and/or elevator pitch and go home knowing what you need to do next, how to approach publishers with your idea and what your submission needs to cover.
Writers' Bootcamp - Saturday, November 3rd 2018 10am - 1pm - £30
This workshop is primarily aimed at wannabe writers, stuck writers, 'not sure if I can...' nervous writers.
- This session is not about grammar, spelling and punctuation but to kick-start and support your creative journey into writing.
- So come along and be inspired to give that book/story/feature/journal/blog a go.
- It doesn’t matter whether you want to write non-fiction or fiction, or something in between - it's all creative and this session is all about starting that process.
- We'll take you through some fun and motivating writing exercises to stimulate your creative brain.
- We'll share our knowledge of publishing, writing courses, useful resources and competitions.
- If you’ve been on one of these workshops before, do join us again – each one will be different.
Short Story writing workshop - Saturday, November 17th 2018
With an optional afternoon critiquing session for a story that you have already written.
Option 1: 10am – 1pm £30
Option 2: As above plus another couple of hours (depending on numbers) until 3pm to have an already written short story critiqued by us and to share it with others. £40 and bring your own lunch. You will need to email your story to us a few weeks in advance.
- Maybe you’ve never written one before but would like to have a go.
- Or maybe you already have a short story waiting to be completed.
- We’ll give you some mind-freeing exercises, useful tips and lots of inspiration to help you write that short story.
- And we’ll discuss plot, genre, opening hooks, character, structure, point of view and that all important ‘a-ha’ moment!
- How to get that short story published will be on the agenda
If you prefer writing on your laptop rather than with pen and paper – feel free to bring it along.
Coffee, tea, soft drinks and snacks provided.
Small, relaxed, non-judgemental group.
Venue: Harri’s secret studio in Marlow (once you book, I’ll give you details if you don’t know the address).
Any questions at all, for payment details or to reserve a place, please send a message - click HERE